Over the coming months we will be investigating the history of Canterbury racecourse through a series of articles describing the course from its earliest beginnings to the creation of the ATC. The content is the result of diligent research by our volunteers and the images are sourced primarily from the collection.
1946 to 1964
||Earl and Lady Mountbatten visited Canterbury in March
Figure 1: George Podmore meets Lord Mountbatten, 30/03/1946, unknown photographer
||Australia’s first photo finish camera is installed at Canterbury on 16th March
||Australia’s first electric mobile starting barriers are introduced at Canterbury on 10th July after various trials
Figure 2: Mobile starting stalls, News Limited
||Prominent trainer Jack Denham got his start at Canterbury
Figure 3: Jack Denham, unknown photographer
||Mid-week races resumed at Canterbury after a 12 year hiatus. The last mid-week meeting at Canterbury had been held in 1942.
||The STC moved the trotters off Canterbury to make room for extensions to hold additional trainers from Moorefield.
||Canterbury conducted the first race meeting in NSW where the public had an opportunity to bet off course in a Totalisator Agency Board (TAB) on 9th December.