Royal Randwick Night Racing Lights
Royal Randwick Racecourse has an extensive history within Australia’s racing culture for over 150 years. The ATC has a vision to reinforce the reputation of the Royal Randwick Racecourse as a world class destination for Thoroughbred racing events and leverage off the success of the world’s richest race, The Everest. To support this future, The Australian Turf Club is preparing an application to install night racing lights at Royal Randwick, to facilitate up to 16 night racing events, predominantly between October and April each year. A key aim of the plan is to enhance the spectator experience and secure Royal Randwick’s long-term future as the jewel in the crown of Sydney racing.
Overall, the proposed Royal Randwick Night Racing Lights development is summarised as:
- Construction of 79 poles ranging from 17-40m high around the Royal Randwick racetrack
- Seeking approval for a maximum of 16 race meetings per year, predominantly between October and April to coincide with Sydney’s daylight savings period, to be transferred to evening events scheduled between 6.00pm and 10.00pm.
- The proposed track lighting is based on the latest LED technology which provides instant control, stepped illumination levels, energy efficiency, excellent colour rendering and long lamp life so the best quality lighting is produced for HDTV broadcasting.
- The latest proposed light fixtures are state of the art and use several mitigation measures to minimise light spill impacts on surrounding properties
The Australian Turf Club has received Secretary’s Environmental Assessment Requirements (SEARs) from the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE), which outline the various technical studies that must be addressed to support a Developments Application.
Technical studies are currently being prepared, and the Australian Turf Club expects to lodge a detailed application by end of April 2021.
- The Australian Turf Club is committed to engaging with the community and other stakeholders during the preparation of the EIS and during the planning and
- You can provide comments or feedback by contacting the Australian Turf Club via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 9663 8400.
- You can also provide your comments and view detailed plans when the EIS is lodged with the DPIE and placed on public exhibition.