RACING FOR THE BUSHFIRE APPEAL
January 6, 2020
Racing NSW and The Australian Turf Club have joined forces in an appeal to support those affected by the bushfires in NSW with a range of financial initiatives.
It is hoped that with the support of industry and the public, close to $100,000 is raised. This will be in addition to the $500,000 that Racing NSW is distributing to NSW Thoroughbred Racing Industry participants directly that have been impacted by the bushfires.
Significant funds are expected to be raised in a special raceday dedicated to this appeal on Carrington Stakes Day at Royal Randwick on Saturday 25 January, where raceday sponsorship funds will be dedicated to the bushfire appeal.
The initiatives include:
– Royal Randwick tribute raceday Saturday 25 January will be dedicated to raising funds – “Racing for the Bushfire Appeal”;
– Australian Turf Club Foundation will donate $10,000 to support those affected by the fires;
– Racing NSW will also donate $10,000 to support those affected by the fires;
– Donation collection buckets will be at ALL Sydney racedays for the remainder of January;
– FREE entry on Saturday 25 January to all RFS and other volunteers helping with the fires;
– Race naming rights will be sold off with all funds raised supporting the cause;
– Signed memorabilia from that day such as jockey’s silks and saddle cloths with be auctioned off raising further funds;
– The public can donate directly by clicking here.
Australian Turf Club CEO, Jamie Barkley, was quick to praise the work of the volunteers working so hard to save lives and property.
“These bushfires are devastating and have touched the lives of everyone in some way. We pay tribute to the volunteers on the front line and behind the scenes that are working selflessly to protect lives, property and helping those most in need.
“Racing always pulls together in times of need and from Racing NSW, ATC Members and staff, jockeys, strappers and trainers on the ground, everyone is keen for us to help and we are keen to do so,” Mr Barkley said.
Racing NSW CEO, Peter V’landys AM, said that these initiatives come on top of the emergency funding relief package for owners, trainers, jockeys, trackriders, stablehands and other participants affected by the bushfires on the NSW South Coast announced recently as well as additional financial support to ensure that all horses are being fed and cared for.
“Our priority first and foremost has been to look after our industry participants, but we are also determined to support the overall bushfire relief cause in this time of crisis.”
“The people in the front line whether local residents or the many service people and volunteers involved need our support.” Mr V’landys said.
This campaign is on top of funds already raised by ATC for those affected by the bushfires and the Rural Fire Service at racedays throughout December last year.
Note that all donations to ATC Foundation are tax deductible and proceeds raised from this campaign will all be used to support those affected by the bushfires.
Recent ArticlesRead all news
IRON JACK MISSILE STAKES LAUNCHES SPRINTERS ON AN EVEREST PATHWAY
Sydney's first Group race of the new season – the Group 2 $200,000 Iron Jack…
LEADING HONG KONG TRAINER JOHN MOORE MOVES TO SYDNEY’S ROSEHILL GARDENS
Hong Kong racing's longest established trainer John Moore is moving to Sydney to set up…