January 29, 2020
The Australian Turf Club Foundation will immediately begin to distribute funds raised from last weekend’s Racing for the Bushfire Appeal to NSW communities and livestock affected by this summer’s devastating bushfires.
More than $130,000 has already been raised by the Racing for the Bushfire Appeal through the Australian Turf Club, Racing NSW, racedays partners, individual donors and through public on-course activations and donations.
The first funds to be distributed in coming days will be:
• $30,000 toward an emergency hay drop for the Cobargo District servicing Bega, Narooma, Dalmeny, Dignams Creek, Tilba, Coolagolite and surrounding areas.
• $20,000 toward an emergency hay drop for the Moruya District servicing Eurobodalla, Bodalla, Potato Point, Bumbo and surrounding areas.
• $10,000 to BlazeAid to rebuild fallen fences in fire affected areas, sourcing fencing material through local businesses.
Australian Turf Club Chairman Matthew McGrath will attend the Bega Cup meeting this Sunday in support of the local community and the Sapphire Coast Turf Club.
The Australian Turf Club has donated a special raceday package to help the Sapphire Coast Turf Club to raise funds.
Further funding announcements from remaining donations to the Racing for the Bushfire Appeal will be made in coming weeks, including at the completion of online auctions which began last Saturday.
• The boots and breeches worn by jockey Hugh Bowman during Winx’s first Cox Plate victory, Doncaster Handicap and Furore’s win in the Hong Kong Derby
• An oil painting of Winx signed by Hugh Bowman and her trainer Chris Waller, donated by his wife Stephanie Waller
• Special Australia Day silks signed by several of Sydney’s leading jockeys
Bids on each of these items can be made at theatc.com.au/auction
A further auction item has been added to the appeal, a 2018 oil painting of Black Caviar by renowned artist Dana Richards.
The high-value item has been donated from a private collection and features the unbeaten champion in full bridle. Bids can also be made at theatc.com.au/auction
The distribution of funds from the Racing for the Bushfire Appeal comes in addition to the $500,000 being distributed by Racing NSW to NSW thoroughbred racing participants and employees directly impacted by bushfires.
Australian Turf Club partners and raceday name partners who have supported the Racing for the Bushfire Appeal were: Lion, City Tatts, TABCORP and Sky Racing, Inglis, PFD Food Services, The Coopers Hotel Newtown, Mark Alati Bookmakers and Edney Ryan Group.
100 per cent of funds raised for the appeal through the ATC Foundation will be sent to bushfire affected people and livestock.
Australian Turf Club Foundation Chairman Phil Morley said: “The Foundation is very pleased to be able to immediately distribute these funds to help communities and animals still recovering from these devastating bushfires.
“We thank everyone who has contributed to the appeal and we look forward to raising more funds and making more announcements to help more communities as quickly as possible.”
Racing NSW Chief Executive Officer Peter V’landys AM said: “I’d like to express my appreciation to the ATC for their proactive, urgent and compassionate response to assist those affected by the bushfires. I’m proud of how the racing industry is always there to help when needed most.”
Recent ArticlesRead all news
PUNTERS TARGET VALUE IN XXXX WJ MCKELL CUP AT ROSEHILL GARDENS
The Listed $150,000 XXXX WJ McKell Cup continues Sydney’s series of middle and long distance…
ATC FOUNDATION AWARDS $200,000 IN FOURTH ROUND OF DONATIONS
The Australian Turf Club Foundation has approved a further $200,996 in donations to a range…