January 7, 2020
Australia’s biggest and most popular brewer Lion has immediately pledged $20,000 to the Racing for the Bushfire Appeal.
The pledge came just hours after Racing NSW and The Australian Turf Club announced a series of initiatives to raise funds at racedays over the coming weeks.
Australian Turf Club Chief Executive Jamie Barkley said Lion is one of Australian racing and sport’s greatest supporters.
“We are thrilled to have Lion donate to our appeal, when called upon to help they didn’t hesitate to support so many people in need,” Mr Barkley said.
Lion’s Managing Director James Brindley urged people to attend Royal Randwick on 25 January to get behind a special raceday for Racing NSW and the ATC’s “Racing for the Bushfire Appeal”.
“This is a fantastic way for Sydneysiders to come together and show their support for those who have lost so much as a result of these fires,” Mr Brindley said.
As announced yesterday, Racing NSW and The Australian Turf Club have joined forces in an appeal to support those affected by the bushfires in NSW.
It is hoped with the support of industry and the public at least $100,000 is raised. This will be in addition to the $500,000 Racing NSW is distributing to NSW Thoroughbred Racing Industry participants directly impacted by the bushfires.
Significant funds are expected to be raised on the special raceday dedicated to this appeal on Carrington Stakes Day at Royal Randwick on Saturday 25 January, where all raceday sponsorship funds will also be dedicated to the bushfire appeal.
The initiatives include:
– Royal Randwick tribute raceday Saturday 25 January dedicated to raising funds – “Racing for the Bushfire Appeal”;
– Australian Turf Club Foundation has donated $10,000 to support those affected by the fires;
– Racing NSW will donate $10,000 to support those affected by the fires;
– Donation collection buckets will be at ALL Sydney racedays for the remainder of January;
– FREE entry on Saturday 25 January to all RFS and other volunteers helping with the fires;
– Race naming rights will be sold off with all funds raised supporting the cause;
– Signed memorabilia from that day such as jockey’s silks and saddle cloths with be auctioned off raising further funds;
– The public can donate directly by clicking here.
Note that all donations to ATC Foundation are tax deductible.
Recent ArticlesRead all news
AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB PAYS TRIBUTE TO FRONTLINE HEROES AND RACING PARTICIPANTS
The Australian Turf Club pays tribute to NSW frontline health and emergency service workers and…
Five Questions With Ray Thomas
He's the racing editor at News Limited and a presenter at Sky Radio, so it’s…