SYDNEY’S GOLDEN SLIPPER ROCKS ROSEHILL GARDENS
Iconic $5million Longines Golden Slipper to capture the world's attention
March 15, 2023
Australia’s biggest day of Group 1 racing featuring the iconic Group 1 $5 million Longines Golden Slipper turns the eyes of the world to Sydney’s Rosehill Gardens this Saturday on a spectacular day of racing and entertainment.
Racing NSW and the Australian Turf Club host the 67th running of the Group 1 $5 million Longines Golden Slipper – one of five Group 1 races on the day – the only time this occurs all year in Australian racing.
All tickets to Saturday’s raceday include entry and access to a Sydney-exclusive on-course concert from internationally-acclaimed Australian dance music stars Pnau.
Australian Turf Club Chief Executive Jamie Barkley said Rosehill Gardens’ Longines Golden Slipper Day was an iconic part of Sydney and world racing.
“No race in the world shapes the Australian racing and breeding industry more than the Longines Golden Slipper,’’ Mr Barkley said.
“A world-class raceday with the stars of international racing ends with superstars of music Pnau.”
“Being trackside to see this live racing and entertainment by Pnau is an unmissable part of the Sydney Autumn raceday experience.’’
The $3.50 TAB favourite for Saturday’s Group 1 $5 million Longines Golden Slipper is Cylinder, trained by James Cummings and ridden by James McDonald, as the colt aims to collect a $1 million bonus for winning two designated pathway races along with winning Saturday’s feature.
The unbeaten Annabel Neasham trained filly Learning To Fly with jockey Chad Schofield is a $6 TAB second favourite ahead of colt King’s Gambit for Peter and Paul Snowden and jockey Mark Zahra ($8 TAB).
Legendary trainer Gai Waterhouse is trying to increase her record number of winners to eight (including a second victory with co-trainer Adrian Bott) with colt Red Resistance ($11 TAB Brett Prebble) and filly Platinum Jubilee ($18 TAB Tim Clark).
Sydney’s 12-time Sydney Training Premiership champion Chris Waller looks to win his first Longines Golden Slipper on his home track with colt Shinzo ($14 TAB Ryan Moore), filly Lezzago ($34 TAB Kerrin McEvoy) and emergency runner Militarize ($101 TAB) who depends on a scratching.
Along with the world’s richest race for two-year-olds, Saturday offers a host of other headlines including:
- Australia’s highest rated horse Anamoe ($1.60 TAB) for James Cummins and James McDonald aiming for a ninth Group 1 victory in the $1 million The Agency George Ryder Stakes;
- Superstar international jockey Ryan Moore jetting into Sydney from the UK to take on world’s best jockey James McDonald and Australasia’s best riders, including Hugh Bowman who returns for Longines Golden Slipper Day from Hong Kong.
- Leading international trainer William Haggas – who trained a winner to open the Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival last Saturday – lining up Dubai Honour ($4.80 TAB) in the Group 1 $1 million Ranvet Stakes, with Ryan Moore to ride. Melbourne Cup winner Gold Trip is a joint $4 TAB favourite.
- Australia’s best middle distance three year olds in the second leg of the Triple Crown in the Group 1 $600,000 Sky Racing Rosehill Guineas, with Godolphin, Cummings and McDonald joining with another favourite in Pericles ($2.70 TAB), ahead of Elliptical (Anthony and Sam Freedman/Mark Zahra) $4.80 TAB.
- A wide-open TAB market in the Group 1 $1 million Kia Ora Galaxy with last-start Group 1 winner Uncommon James for Brisbane trainers Steven O’Dea and Matthew Hoysted and Melbourne jockey Damian Lane at $5 TAB favourite.
For all racing, ticketing and general information go to theraces.com.au.
Recent ArticlesRead all news
Royal Randwick and Rosehill Gardens Kick Summer Season into Free Fun
The Australian Turf Club’s summer festive season kicks off with back-to-back meetings at Royal Randwick on Friday and…
Kia Friday Night Racing Returns for Free Trackside Family Fun
Kia Friday Night Racing returns this Summer, trackside at Canterbury Park. Free entry for all,…