Ford Eyeing Off Toyota Forklifts WJ Mckell Cup for Third Time
June 14, 2023
The 61st running of the listed $160,000 Toyota Forklifts WJ McKell Cup highlights the racing program at Rosehill Gardens this Saturday.
Warwick Farm trainer Joe Pride will be the trainer to keep an eye on, having won the race three times in the past 10 years and he has Mach Schnell (to be ridden by Tyler Shiller) entered this time around.
There are 13 acceptors for the race (off 19 nominations) including last start winner Bois D’argent from the Annabel Neasham camp. He has been backed from $4.60-$3.70 in early betting and holds slight favouritism over Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott’s runner, Zoumon ($3.70-$3.90).
With a huge 10-race program commencing at 11am, the McKell Cup is race seven on the card (leg one of the Quaddie) and jumps at 2:30pm.
Rosehill Gardens’ program has attracted bumper acceptances with 144 horses across the 10 races including two huge fields for the Midway (24 runners including emergencies) and TAB Highway (18 plus two emergencies).
MCKELL CUP – FAST FACTS
- Jockey Jay Ford is the only jockey to have won the race twice in the past decade and rides Esti Feny on Saturday
- Joe Pride has won the race three times in 10 years with his latest winner being Stockman in 2021 (Destiny’s Kiss 2018; Sense Of Occasion 2015)
- Chris Waller only has the one win to his name (Skyman 2022)
- Between them, Annabel Neasham (Bois D’argent, Bartholomeu Dias, Regal Lion) and Chris Waller (Desert Icon, Lord Ardmore, Irish Sequel, Bold Mac) have seven of the 13 runners
Tickets for this Saturday and all Winter Season racedays are available for as low as $17 for Groups of 10 or more, with the Punters Pack available at $39.
Punters Packs are loaded with value and include one General Admission entry ticket, two Furphy vouchers, a $10 food voucher, and a racebook.
Punters Packs can be purchased online at theraces.com.au up until 4.30pm on the Friday prior and collected on raceday at the Wagering Concierge in the Betting Ring.
- $160,000 Listed Civic Stakes – June 24
- $160,000 Listed Winter Stakes – July 8
- $160,000 Listed July Sprint – July 22
Race 1 is due to start at 11am with the final race to be run at 4.25pm.
Recent ArticlesRead all news
THE AGENCY EXTENDS PARTNERSHIP WITH AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB FOR A FURTHER THREE YEARS
The Australian Turf Club (ATC) is pleased to announce its partnership extension with The Agency…
Royal Randwick and Rosehill Gardens Kick Summer Season into Free Fun
The Australian Turf Club’s summer festive season kicks off with back-to-back meetings at Royal Randwick on Friday and…